Sunday, May 13, 2012

Service Learning

Literal
Service Learning Log
Contact Name & Number [emailed to Melogno]

Interpretive
I think that the most important thing was that I was able to experience how medical suppply companies operate. Even if I was idle and had to figure out how to keep myself busy, I was able to observe what was going on in the office. My service learning people were open to me asking questions about who was going in and out of the office, as well as to the events that were happening. During breaks, I got to observe how everyone interacted and dealt with the most important issues of the day.


Applied
Service learning was what gave me the focus for what kind of marketing I would focus on for my senior project. In order to organize the store, I had to know what it was that I was dealing with. It's similar to marketing- you have to know your product in order to be able to successfully create a relationship over it.  When I was categorizing the store, I had to do some research to figure out what it was that I was categorizing, and I was constantly asking why we were selling these items, who we sold them to, and why I had to keep changing the prices.

All of the observations that I made during my stay and the interactions that I witnessed were what gave me the foundation of my first and second answers. Communication within the company was vital. Whenever the biller (one of my service learning people) would ask about a lack of communication with a certain client, the driver would usually have an answer to it, and vice versa. I noted that everyone naturally worked with the focus that medical supplies coincided with peoples' health. It was something that I greatly appreciated as I watched how they all worked together.

Confirmation of Contact Person, Contact Phone Number, and 50 hours completed [pending]

No comments:

Post a Comment